Tuesday, December 30, 2014

ANF 5: Hippolytus Elucidiations

Ante-Nicene Fathers Volume 5

HippolytusThe Refutation of All Heresies

I won't try to top the comments of the 19th century editors on Hippolytus. I'll just add my own note that unless you're an expert in the field (or aspiring to become one), there's really no need to read the whole of The Refutation of All Heresies. I recommend reading only book X, and maybe snippets of the other books (I've tried to highlight which bits are most worthy of attention in my own reviews).

The rough structure of the Elucidations seems to be something like this:

  • Comments on Hippolytus on heresy in general: I, V, XIV, XV, XVI
  • Comments on Hippolytus' place among the ANF: II, IV, VI, XIII, XV
  • Comments on how Hippolytus disproves later Roman Catholic claims: III, IV, VI, VIII, IX, X, XII, XVIII, General Note
  • Comments on Hippolytus' language or theology: III, V, IX, XI, XII, XIII, XV, XVI, XVII, XVIII

No comments:

Post a Comment