Wednesday, February 12, 2014

300--but not the movie

I had originally intended just to let this slip by, but since I'm down with a cold and not terribly focused on work I should be doing, I thought a reflection or two in honor of my 300th blog post is in order. (Since this is the 300th blog post, I suppose technically it should be in honor of the first two hundred and ninety-nine posts...)
So, what have I learned since putting up that first short post just over three years ago? I like to think a lot, given that since that time I have 1) gotten married; 2) finished my Ph.D., 3) become gainfully employed in a job I love; 4) bought a house (well, the BANK bought a house--but they're kindly letting the wife and I rent-to-own); and 5) have a baby on the way.

But, what have I learned about blogging? A few things:
1) Blogging is easier than writing a dissertation but harder than writing a letter. I don't know that it's exactly halfway between those two things.
2) Blogging for yourself is a lot harder than blogging on a corporate blog. I don't know if it's because of the added accountability or because the sinner in me likes the accolades that come from a wider readership than my minuscule corner of the internet provides, but it's always easier to get something ready for my other site than for this one. (It may also be because the other one 'pays,' in free books if not in actual money.)
3) I don't have nearly enough self discipline. While I never planned to achieve Challies-levels of blogging (i.e. daily), I had hoped for more than 300 between November, 2010 and February, 2014--especially when we consider how many of those are quotes, reposts, and City of God reflections. I don't know that I'm going to resolve to change this pattern (especially with a wee one on the way), but it's at least worth some reflection.
4) I have a tendency to start a series of posts and then get distracted/give it up.


And, well, that's probably enough. This doesn't have to be an earth-shattering post or anything, just a brief nod to a passing landmark. Maybe I'll do it again at 500 or 1,000 or some such.

For those of you who need hard numbers and like to quantify things, here are the stats:
All-time Pageviews: 25,636
Most Popular Post (Presumably because of Google): http://coyleneal.blogspot.com/2011/11/some-views-of-dantes-purgatory.html
Most of my traffic comes from the US, followed by Britain, Russia, Germany, and Canada.
And the VAST majority of my hits come from people Googling "Dante's []." Not all, but enough to keep me humble...

No comments:

Post a Comment