In the course of my morning reading, the following facts came to light about Martin Luther:
- He called his wife "Lady Luther, Lady Doctor, Lady of the Pigmarket" (apparently, that was a compliment in 16th century Germany).
- "He was too poor to keep a horse and carriage, but he kept a bowling-alley for exercise."
- He once offered a prize to his dinner guests for the one who could say the shortest blessing. (Philip Melanchthon won with: Benedictus Benedicat, something to the effect of "bless us o Blessed One.")
- He paid his wife fifty guilders to read the Bible cover to cover.
- "He regarded comets, which he calls 'harlot stars,' as tokens of God's wrath or as works of the Devil." (I now have something to shout every time I see a comet...)