Thursday, November 24, 2011

Blogroll!

I know there's a link on the side of the blog for this sort of thing, but I'm too lazy to figure out how to use it. Instead, I thought I'd just briefly outline some of the blogs I follow, and give a quick reason for why I enjoy each of them.
Disclaimer: I am not a compulsive blog reader. Some of these I only visit occasionally, and may not have visited even recently. If things have changed on any of them and they're no longer read-worthy, please do let me know.
Disclaimer(2): I'm not going to list any personal blogs, only ones intended for broader consumption are going to be listed here.

The Christian Humanist Blog: Ending always with the very Luther admonition to "let your sins be strong, and let your faith be stronger", these three guys (all, I believe, graduates of the University of Georgia) discuss the various and sundry things that human beings do well. Mostly that means literature and philosophy (not that human beings don't to architecture and engineering well also, just that those topics are a bit off the radar of these humanities-types), though occasionally it branches into movements in the historical and contemporary church. While not every episode is for everyone, every episode does engage thoughtfully and somewhat thoroughly with important topics, thinkers, and events.

Mike Gilbart-Smith is a preacher in London who only occasionally updates his blog (not that I have room to throw stones), but who is always worth checking out.

Also from across the pond is Richard Bartholomew, a more liberal thinker about religion (I'm not sure if he self-identifies as Christian or not) who focuses mostly on domestic British religious issues, but whose book reviews are always worthy of note. "Who," you might be asking yourself, "the deuce is Richard Bartholomew?" Well, according to his blog, "there are at least four people Richard Bartholomew is not. He is not Richard Bartholomew the JFK conspiracy theorist and political cartoonist from Texas. And he is not Richard Bartholomew, author of books on India. He is also not Brother Bartholomew, the Satanic Catholic leader in Salem Kirban’s apocalyptic novel 666, nor is he the mystic entity Bartholomew channelled by Mary Moore." Enough said.

The First Things website has a couple of good ones, Evangel tries to cover the broad relationship between Christianity and culture on a popular level. At least, that's what it does nominally. From time to time it breaks into theological debate, and then a purge is made of the bloggers guilty of religious... unpleasantness. Which alone is worth following. On the other hand, Postmodern Conservative tries to consider the relationship between Christianity and movements in modern philosophy, though it often ends up merely sniping at modern politics and politicians. Which again is worth paying attention to :)

Also along political lines, Front Porch Republic is worth the occasional glance. Though I am not an agrarian myself, these wannabe farmers usually have insightful critiques and thoughtful analyses of the problems of modernity, even if their solutions lack luster at times.

Finally, Kim Riddlebarger is a pastor out in California (I forget where exactly, but does it really matter anyway?) who I occasionally check in with. He is at his best when dealing with matters eschatological, and (he would undoubtedly want me to add) matters concerning the New York Yankees, which I am much less inclined to care about.

No comments:

Post a Comment