Sunday, August 7, 2011

Book Review: Three Victorian Detective Novels

Three Victorian Detective Novels: The Unknown Weapon/My Lady's Monkey/The Big Bow MysteryThree Victorian Detective Novels: The Unknown Weapon/My Lady's Monkey/The Big Bow Mystery by Andrew Forrester

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I wasn't really sure how to rate this book. It's three short detective novels (not quite novellas) from the Victorian era. Both the novel and the detective story were fairly new (Poe had only recently published The Murders in the Rue Morgue: The Dupin Tales), so it's probably not fair to hold them to too high a standard. I settled on 3 stars because of the way the stories fell, the first I thought was terrible (not because it had a female lead, but because the story was slow-paced); the second was better, but long and overly focused on class and station (Victorian, remember); and the third was actually pretty good, though the ending was... well, read it yourself.
(Side note: I was tempted to give it an extra star just because Goodreads turned "My Lady's Money" into "My Lady's Monkey", which frankly might have been a better book...)



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment