Monday, January 24, 2011

I John 1:2

"The Life appeared"

We finally arrive at the action of the book. The first verse is set-up and proclamation, verse two is where we see God's action at work. "The Life Appeared." The words are carefully chosen:
-"Life", that which is proclaimed. The world groans under the weight of sin and death; the rebellion of creation against God has brought down the sentence of death upon our heads. So God promises
I am about to pour out my wrath on you
   and spend my anger against you.
I will judge you according to your conduct
   and repay you for all your detestable practices.
I will not look on you with pity;
   I will not spare you.
I will repay you for your conduct
   and for the detestable practices among you.
   “‘Then you will know that it is I the LORD who strikes you. (Ezekiel 7: 8-9)
Life, then, after so many promises of death, is shocking news.

-"Appeared": the implication is not that Life was called out of nothing, but rather that the Life was somewhere else, but now has appeared here. The Life has come to those who are dead, Christ has entered a world in rebellion against Him and proclaimed the message of redemption.

No comments:

Post a Comment