So why am I blogging? Three reasons:
- First of all, why not? QED.
- Second, I am in the process of dissertation-writing, but because I've finished taking classes I've fallen out of the habit of writing on a regular basis. And while this blog will not be academic in any strict sense, I think that there mere discipline that comes from having to put pen to paper (or, you know, "fingers to keyboard") regularly will be beneficial in the long term.
- Third, for reasons that I can only slightly comprehend, I have been asked by several independent sources to start a blog. I assume that the reason is for some form of public humiliation. Or, potentially I'm being used as part of an international conspiracy to take over, well, I'm not sure what I would be useful in taking over. The local Starbucks, maybe? Anyway, I am a slave to popular opinion, so there you have it.
A fistful of warnings which must be given:
- First, a general warning. According to Rick Warren (via Mark Driscoll), blogging is instant, constant, global, and permanent. This presumably implies that I will need a level of thoughtfulness and clarity which I am not accustomed to using in casual conversation. Or formal conversation. Or while thinking. So hopefully at some point this blog may be useful in developing some level of thoughtfulness, until then you've been warned.
- Second, as I tell my students at the beginning of every class, I'm one of the least tactful people you'll ever meet, so if you're easily offended this might not be the class for you. And if you have to have this class to graduate, you might want to see this as an opportunity to grow as a human being. The same applies here (maybe that needs to go into the profile?). If you're easily offended, kindly move it along- there's nothing to see here.
And... I think that's it. Comments are always welcome, and may even occasionally be responded to. Thanks for reading, I think this will be fun.